Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Getting the Swing of This

I guess I need to jump feet first into this lol

Tonight is Supper Club. This crazy group of ladies finally got their act together. We decided that instead of talking about new recipes and talking about needing to get together for dinner, we would do it. Thus Supper Club was born. Fairly simple concept until you factor in about 10 ladies and everyone's complicated schedules!

Last month was the first time we gave this a whirl and it was a blast! AC had everyone over for a fall foods potluck. Let me tell you that it was some of the best food I've had in a long time. I made brie bites with a raspberry dipping sauce, KLM made this decadent butternut squash casserole almost dessert dish. I plan on making it for Thanksgiving, it was that delicious. Another dish that was a hit was Smoky Corn Chowder from the best magazine ever. I'm not sure if the recipe is still available so here it is-

Ingredients
8 ounces sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 10-ounce packages frozen corn
3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup half-and-half
kosher salt and black pepper
4 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
1 baguete, sliced and toasted (optional)

Directions
1) Cook the bacon in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
2) Spoon off and discard all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings. Return the pan to medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
3) Add the garlic, paprika, and red pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
4) Stir in the corn, broth, and half-and-half and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
5) Transfer half the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to the pot and stir in ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
6) Divide the soup among bowls and top with the scallions and bacon. Serve with bread, if desired.

Anyways, tonight is Italian theme so I'm bringing capresse salad. Going through all my recipes and thinking Italian, took me back to the summer when I studied abroad in Sansepolcro, Italy. What I wouldn't give to be back there! So, if you're looking for a funny travel blog about Italy, please check out this little Travel Gnomad. She is adorable!

Alright I have a quick work meeting then I've got to jet home to make my dish for tonight. Hope to be back tomorrow with yummy highlights!

No comments:

Post a Comment