Thursday, September 6, 2012

Remembering


My Grandma is on the left with one of her friends. They were on a road trip in their early twenties to visit their soldiers. This was pre-WWII because their road trip was to the military base where their men were training. My grandparents weren't married at this point and wouldn't get married for at least another four years while my grandfather was stationed in Europe. 

The point of this is that today marks two years since my Grandma passed away. I still miss her everyday and my Sunday nights are still weird without our weekly talks. Fortunately I remember every word of our last Sunday night talk because it was the day my nephew was born. I am so lucky that I got to spend 27 years with her but mostly I wish I could have one more talk or visit with her. 

I have lots of times where I'm jealous of my brother and cousins. I'm the only grandchild that didn't get to introduce their significant other to our Grandma (remember, I'm forever a bridesmaid ha). With that, I know that I will be able to cherish stories, family history, and moments that she shared with me that my brother and cousins didn't get. 

She held our family together and one day I would like to be able to step into her shoes. She was a smart lady and often I catch myself wondering what advice she would give me for a given situation. I also know she didn't like to miss a party so when our family is together, I know somewhere she is mad that she is missing the fun!

If you still have a grandparent, call, visit, hug, kiss them right now!

XOXO,
Southern Gal

No comments:

Post a Comment